HOME-MADE PERFECT PIPING GEL RECIPE (Vegan)
In the next couple of weeks, I will be sharing tutorials on how to work with Edible Wafer papers (IF YOU HAVEN’T GOTTEN MY ULTIMATE GUIDE FOR WORKING WITH EDIBLE WAFER PAPERS, then visit my YouTube channel to get your FREE COPY), usage, storage, etc. And when you mention Wafer Papers, you will definitely mention PIPING GEL.
WHAT ARE PIPING GELS?
Piping Gel is a clear, shiny, smooth and sweet syrup which is most often used when decorating cakes.
Piping gel can be applied using a piping bag and nozzle tips or by a pastry brush. It can be coloured into desired colour variations using Food Grade colours only. I usually prefer making use of paste or powdered food colours so that the consistency won’t be affected. Using liquid good colours will make the gel’s consistency too runny and this won’t be suitable for cake decorative purposes.
My piping gel recipe is basically made from Granulated White Sugar, Water, and Cornflour (Corn Starch) which makes the recipe vegan! This makes it suitable for vegan baking. Hence if you’re subscribed to vegan recipe, you are safe with this 😀.
The other method for making piping gel is with Gelatin. I am not a great fan of gelatin, ‘cos of the taste. Hence my cornflour method is my go-to recipe.
PIPING GEL USES:
- Piping Gel can be used for writing on Cakes
- It can also be used for creating liquid effect. For instance if you are creating a sea-related themed cake, swimming pool themed cake, or cup of beverage/juice as a cake, you can use piping gel to make the liquid.
- Piping Gel is also perfect fro glazing fruits. It leaves a ‘sheen’ effect; a glossy finish to your fruits.
- Piping gel can be used to attach gum paste designs and wafer paper designs on each other. You will see me using it very often as I share tutorials on Wafer Paper techniques. In other words, it serves also as glue.
- Piping gel can also be coloured and used as drips for cakes or a finishing to your dessert plates.
My piping gel recipe can be refrigerated in sterilized airtight bowls and it can stay refrigerated for up to 3 months. Piping gel doesn’t harden up. But if it’s too thick, add hot water a teaspoon at a time and mixing well in-between interval till you reach desired consistency.
If you are interested in SIGNING UP for my ONLINE COURSES / ONSITE CLASSES or to see some of my works and students’ practicals, then do chat me up using this link: https://linktr.ee/sussycakes All my classes are very affordable.
- In a saucepan, add your sugar, cornflour (corn starch) and water, and stir well.
- Make sure there are no lumps. Transfer saucepan to low-medium flames. And keep stirring while mixture is cooking.
- Do this till cornflour mixture becomes translucent, and mixture thickens.
- Remove sauce pan from heat, allow to cool and transfer to a sterilized jar.
- Refrigerate for up to 3 months.
[…] PAPER ROSE FLOWER TEMPLATE | Wafer Paper Series , WAFER PAPER BUTTERFLY | Wafer Paper series , and HOME-MADE PERFECT PIPING GEL RECIPE (Vegan) I also have an Ultimate Free Guide that covers all you need to know about working with Wafer Papers […]