Classic VICTORIA SPONGE CAKE (One bowl method)
The Victoria Sponge cake is said to have been named after Queen Victoria as she usually have a slice of this cake with her afternoon tea. This cake to me is a basic recipe that any beginner should have. It’s not only simple but it’s easy to make.
Moreso, my classic Victoria Sponge Cake skips the traditional CREAMING METHOD just like my 5 minutes CHOCOLATE CAKE recipe and uses the ALL-ONE-METHOD (One bowl method).
All-in-one method VS Creaming method.
Personally, I love recipes that are simple, and easy to work with. That’s why most of my cake recipes requires the All-in-One method. This method simply means add all your item into your mixing bowl then whisk and viola your batter is ready for baking!
The Creaming method however involves you beating your sugar and butter first till it’s creamy and light, then you add your eggs one at a time, whisking between each addition, and then vanilla and milk. Finally, you add your dry items and fold it in or whisk for 2 minutes on low mixer’s speed to combine.
- Preheat your oven. Before you measure out your items, turn on your oven. This should not be overlooked. A perfectly heated oven yields a perfectly baked cake.
- If your are doubling the recipe, also double your mixing time.
- Shelf life of this cake is 3 days. It can be refrigerated for 1 week or frozen up to a month.
- You can use cake flour,or self rising flour for this recipe.
- You can use unsalted butter, salted butter, or margarine. If using salted butter, omit the salt in the recipe.
- Don’t over bake. If you do, cake will turn out dry.
- Batter can be baked in cupcake. If baking in cupcakes, baking time will be reduced as cupcakes bakes faster. Normally, I prefer using oil based recipes for my cupcakes. This prevents the cupcakes from drying out and allows it retain it’s moistened nature to its last bite.
- Your baked cake should come out with a flat top. If you have a dome after baking then your oven’s temperature is too high. If your oven is normally extremely hot, then steam bake. Steam baking controls the heat of your oven and gives you a perfectly baked cake. It however slows your baking time.
- Avoid opening your oven’s door frequently to check your cake, as this will lead to a sunken cake. Your cake won’t also rise properly.
If you are interested in SIGNING UP for my complete online BAKE WELL COURSE then do chat me up using any of the social media links. If you are in Lagos, Nigeria and needs an on sight class, feel free to chat me up too. All my classes are very affordable.
See step-by-step video here: CLASSIC VICTORIA SPONGE CAKE
- Batter can be baked in two 7″ round pan; or two 6″ round pan; or one 8″ round pan.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C or 350°F.
- Get your baking pan, grease with butter and slightly dust with flour, making sure to tap out excess flour. Set aside.
- Weigh your eggs with shell (without breaking).
- Using the egg weight, weigh your flour, butter, sugar. Make sure all items are at room temperature.
- In your mixing bowl, sieve in flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- Next add sugar, vanilla extract, liquid milk, and butter.
- Next break in your eggs.
- Whisk with your mixer on the lowest speed for 1 minute to combine all items. Then increase mixer’s speed to the highest and whisk for 4 minutes.
- Get your baking pan, transfer batter into it. Tap the pan on your work surface to level the batter and also extract air incorporated into the batter during mixing.
- Bake in the middle tier of your pre-heated oven for 10-15 minutes or until skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Once out of the oven, allow cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes then remove from pan and transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Eat plain, or serve with confectioner’s sugar dusted on the top with berries of your choice; or with a frosting of your choice.
#classicvictoriaspongecake #spongecake #victoriaspongecake #onebowlspongecake #spongecakerecipe
[…] As promised here’s my NO-FAIL, SUPER MOIST TUTTI FRUTTI CAKE recipe! Just imagine having a slice of this cake with a cup of tea, or coffee, or alongside your favorite drink. My tutti frutti cake recipe is also a one-bowl recipe like most of my cake recipes ( Moist Chocolate Cake , Classic Victoria Sponge Cake). […]
[…] healthy! Check out my other 5-minute recipes here : Moist Tutti Frutti Cake Recipe , Classic Victoria Sponge Cake, Moist Chocolate Cake […]
[…] are naturally moist (5 minutes Redvelvet Cupcakes Chocolate Cakes, etc); while some are fluffy (Classic Victoria Sponge Cake ). Thus, it’s ideal to strike a balance between moist and fluffy. This is the reason why I am […]