As promised here’s my NO-FAIL, SUPER MOIST TUTTI FRUTTI CAKE recipe! Just imagine having a slice of this cake with a cup of tea, or coffee, or alongside your favorite drink. My tutti frutti cake recipe is also a one-bowl recipe like most of my cake recipes ( Moist Chocolate Cake , Classic Victoria Sponge Cake).
I have had people ask me if they can make my one-bowl cake recipes without a mixer. My answer is YES! I will be sharing just how to do that with a wooden spatula and a hand whisk. The only thing you will be doing is, exercising those arms 😀 for 7 minutes. While if you are using a stand mixer or hand mixer, you will be mixing for 5 minutes.
WHAT’S SPECIAL ABOUT MY TUTTI FRUTTI RECIPE?
- It’s moist. Not dry. This is due to the presence of whole milk and the use of cake flour as against All purpose flour in the recipe.
- It’s colourful and this is because of the tutti frutti candies (Homemade Tutti Frutti recipe) used.
- If you are allergic to tutti frutti or any other raisins then you can absolutely leave it out and you will still have a perfect delicious cake!
- It’s a one-bowl recipe. Pour all items to your mixing bowl and whisk! It’s that simple!
- Cake flour: If you can’t find cake flour in your area or if it’s too expensive, simply make yours. MEASURE OUT 100g OF ALL PURPOSE FLOUR, REMOVE 2 TABLESPOONS OF FLOUR FROM IT, THEN ADD 2 TABLESPOONS OF CORNFLOUR/CORNSTARCH TO IT AND SIEVE 3 TIMES. And viola, your cake flour is ready. Now, you will have to sift the cake flour first before measuring/weighing. The weight for a sifted cake flour before measuring is different from the weight of cake flour that’s measured before sieving. So what I did here was to make 300g of cake flour, sift 3 times then measure out 250g from it for the recipe. If you got your cake flour from the market, then sift it first too before weighing.
- All ingredients are at room temperature.
- You can use margarine in place of unsalted butter. If using unsalted butter, make sure it’s softened that when you press it with your index finger, it leaves an indent.
- Preheat your oven before starting. This is very important.
- I whisked with my hand whisk here for 7 minutes. If using a stand mixer, whisk for 5 minutes using the balloon attachment.
- Batter can be poured into a 9″ × 5″ loaf pan, OR two 8″ round cake pan, OR two 7″ round cake pan, OR three 6″ round cake pan.
- Alternatively, coat half of your tutti frutti candies in flour before pouring flour into mixing bowl. This prevents the tutti frutti from sinking to the bottom of the batter.
- Because of the presence of tutti frutti candies, if making it in a loaf pan, the cake would take a longer time to bake. Just like your fruit cakes or raisin bread.
- When adding all items into a bowl, if you started with wet items (eggs,milk, vanilla extract), make sure to add all wet items first before adding dry items and vice versa. What I mean is don’t add flour for example then go and add milk next.
- Use whole milk with about 3.5% fat content. You can actually use a low fat milk, or no-fat milk but I prefer the full fat whole milk as I love the creaminess it gives my cake.
- Always remember to scrape down the side of your mixing bowl while mixing either with a mixer or with a hand whisk.
- Use large eggs. My egg weighted 70g each with the shell.
- You can substitute vanilla extract with any Fruit flavour like orange, lemon, banana, strawberry, etc. Just explore with flavor. If using orange flavour replace the milk in the recipe with 150ml of orange juice. Trust me you will LOVE IT!
If you are interested in learning more about BASIC CAKE BAKING, then sign up for my online COURSES by chatting with me using any of the social media links (All online courses runs only on TELEGRAM). If you are in Lagos, Nigeria and needs an on-sight/physical class, feel free to chat me up too for my MENTORING PROGRAM OR SANDWICH classes.
See step-by-step video here: TUTTI FRUTTI CAKE
- Preheat oven to 170°C or 340°F if using a regular round cake pan. While if using a cake loaf, preheat oven to 140°C.
- Prepare your pan by slightly greasing with butter or using cooking spray, and then flouring it slightly. Remember to dust out excess flour from the pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all items (EXCEPT THE TUTTI FRUTTI). If you started with wet items (eggs,milk, vanilla extract), make sure to add all wet items first before adding dry items and vice versa.
- Next using your wooden spatula or hand whisk, whisk all items together vigorously for 7 minutes. If using a stand mixer, whisk for 1 minute on low speed with the balloon attachment to combine all items, then on the highest speed for 3 minutes, then lastly on the lowest speed for a minute to remove air incorporated into the batter during mixing. Remember to scrape down the sides of your mixing bowl while whisking so all items are well incorporated.
- Next get your tutti frutti, pour half of it into the batter and fold it in well. Then get your prepared cake pan or loaf pan and pour in your batter.
- Tap the bottom of the pan to level the batter. Then sprinkle the remaining tutti frutti on the batter.
- Bake in a preheated oven. Once baked, toothpick/skewer inserted in the center of the cake should come out clean.
- Remove cake from oven. Place pan on a rack to allow cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then turn cake to cake rack and leave to cool completely before serving or decorating.
- Cake is best frosted with whipped cream, or cream cheese, or with buttercream.
#tuttifrutticake #moisttuttifrutticake #onebowlrecipe #breakfastcake #teatimecake #simplecakdrecipe