Best RED VELVET SWISS ROLL CAKE
Swiss rolls? Cake rolls? Swiss log? Jelly rolls? What ever you call it I assure you they are the most fanciest and easiest dessert to make! My simple Red Velvet Swiss rolls Cake is a show stopper 😊. Moist, Delicious and most importantly Healthy! It’s the perfect cake roll for Valentine’s Day!
Swiss Cake Roll is simply a sponge cake filled with whipped cream, frosting, or jams and jellies. This Red Velvet version has that tangy taste we love in our Red Velvet Cakes
- Preheat your oven and prepare your pan before starting.
- Make sure all items are at room temperature.
- Whip your eggs and sugar till foamy or triples in volume. This took me about 5 minutes. Alternatively you can separate egg whites from egg yolks and whip the egg yolk with sugar till it becomes frothy and forms a ribbon when you lift your mixer’s attachment. Then whip your egg whites separately till it forms a stiff peak. Then fold the egg white into your batter after adding all other items. This extra step retains more air into your batter.
- Don’t overmix your batter. Over mixing will lead to a roll that’s tough and not moist. Once eggs are whipped, switch over to your spatula and fold in all other items gently. This won’t allow the air whipped into the eggs to deflate.
- You can use a food grade powdered red colour, or liquid, or gel. Just make sure you use a very good brand. If however you’re in Nigeria, you are in for luck, ‘cos we have a food coloring made specifically for red velvet cakes called EXCELLENT BLEND. With this special food colour, you just need a very small amount, to get that desired red colour. CHECK OUT MY RED VELVET CUPCAKE RECIPE for more details
- Don’t over bake your Red Velvet Swiss roll or any swiss roll. If you do, it would be hard to roll. Baking should be between 10-15 minutes.
- Bake in the right pan. I used a 7″ x 11″ inch pan. A smaller pan will result to a cake layer that’s too thick and would break when you roll. A larger pan will also give the same problem of crackling and layer will be too thin.
- Bake in a pan that’s greased and lined with parchment paper or lined with silicone mat.
- Once baked, flip cake while it’s hot to a tray and peel off the parchment paper. Peeling off the paper immediately prevents cake from having wrinkles.
- What fillings can you use? Jam, Honey, Whipped Cream, Cream Cheese, Lemon Curd, Mascarpone Cheese, Genache. The list is endless. Feel free to use any filling of your choice. I filled mine with Whipped Cream. Be careful not to overfill your swiss rolls though. Over filling will prevent the cake from rolling properly. Filling should be thin.
- Once cake is baked, add your fillings and roll while it’s warm. Don’t wait. If you leave your cake to get cool before rolling, it will be difficult to roll and your cake will rack.
- Toppings could be fresh fruits, berries, cherries, whipped cream, sift confectionery sugar (icing sugar), MERINGUE COOKIES, etc. Feel free to garnish with anything you like.
- Garnish your Red Velvet Swiss rolls just before serving. Wrap any left over Red Velvet Swiss roll cake well in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 2 months. To thaw, keep in the refrigerator overnight.
If you are interested in learning more about BASIC CAKE BAKING, then sign up for my online COURSES by chatting with me using any of the social media links (All online courses runs only on TELEGRAM). If you are in Lagos, Nigeria and needs an on-sight/physical class, feel free to chat me up too for my MENTORING PROGRAM OR SANDWICH classes.
See step-by-step video here : Best Red Velvet Swiss Roll Ever
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 7″ × 11″ inch pan with oil or spray with a cooking spray and line with parchment paper or silicone mat. If using parchment paper, also grease with oil or spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In your milk bowl, add your first ½ tsp of vinegar, stir, and set aside. This makes your buttermilk.
- In a larger bowl, add eggs and vanilla extract and whip for 1-2 minutes till eggs are well combined. Next add your sugar in 3 batches and whip well between each batch. This took me 3 minutes; making the whipping time 5 minutes.
- Sieve in flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder. Fold in gently with a spatula till well combined.
- Next add oil, milk mixture, and red food colour and fold in well.
- Get your baking soda bowl, and add the second ½ tsp of vinegar and stir well. You will notice a chemical reaction (like bubbles). Quickly pour mixture into batter, and fold in.
- Pour batter into cake pan. Bake in the center rack for 10-15 minutes. KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR CAKE. After 12 minutes, check your Red Velvet Swiss roll cake. Insert a toothpick or skewer into it, if it comes out clean, cake roll is baked. If not, allow it bake for extra 3 minutes.
- Once cake is baked, skewer inserted in the center will come out clean. Also when you touch the cake’s top it won’t stick to your fingers. Another way to check if swiss roll is baked is by slightly pressing the cake. It will spring back. This shows cake is ready.
- While still hot, run a knife around the edges of the cake. This makes it come out easily from the pan. Flip the cake to a tray and remove the parchment paper. Get a fresh parchment paper, larger than the cake roll. Place it on the cake and flip the cake once again.
- Next, cut one of the shorter cake’s edges diagonally (slantly). This will enable the cake sit well once rolled. For the other shorter cake’s edge, slightly create 2 indents using a kitchen knife or a serrated knife. Don’t cut too deeply. This indent is to make the cake roll easily. You are doing all these while cake’s hot. WATCH THE VIDEO
- Next apply your fillings slightly. And using your parchment paper, roll the cake. NOT TOO TIGHT AND NOT TOO LOOSE. Make sure you don’t roll your parchment paper into the cake. After rolling make sure the cake roll sits on the slanted cut edge. Wrap swiss roll with parchment paper and seal with sellotape or paper tape to secure the cake. Wrap the edges too.
- Now refrigerate your Red Velvet Swiss Rolls for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, unwrap from parchment paper, slice off each short edges of the rolls to have a clean cut. Garnish with fresh fruits or any toppings of your choice and serve.
#redvelvetcakeroll #redvelvetswissroll #perfectswissrollrecipe #swissrollathome #bakerystyleswissroll