Hash Browns is native to Americans. It’s a breakfast dish that’s made of potatoes, which has been finely shredded or grated; boiled, shaped and fried on both sides till golden brown.Jump to Recipe
My Hash Browns recipe is not only easy and quick, it’s also very crunchy. You can make it in advance and fry just when you’re about having breakfast. Originally, hash browns were known as “hashed brown potatoes”; or “hashed browned potatoes”.
For my Nigerian touch, I’m using Sweet potatoes which is peculiar to us. You can use Irish Potatoes too but it won’t be as crunchy like when using sweet potatoes. If you’re outside the country, you can use any type of potatoes available to you.
What’s the secret to my most CRUNCHIEST HASH BROWNS RECIPE?
An equal quantity of flour and cornflour is the secret to my crunchiest Hash Browns recipe. This perfect ratio gives you a chewy hash brown that’s crunchy at the same time.
Ingredients in my CRUNCHIEST HASH BROWNS RECIPE
My crunchiest Hash Browns recipe has few ingredients and spice that you already have in your kitchen or pantry
- Potatoes : You can use any Potatoes of your choice. I used Sweet Potatoes because that’s what’s popular in my country Nigeria and it gives me a very crunchy Hash Browns patties
- Onions: Not only does onion give hash browns a unique flavor, it also gives it an extra crunch!
- Egg: Oh yeah! Egg is a binding agent in this recipe. It gives the hash browns that perfect flavour too
- Salt: For an extra flavour, salt balances the equation in this recipe
- Chili Pepper: Or grounded pepper is needed to take away any bland taste.
Handy Tips needed in making Crunchy Hash Browns
If you have tried out my other APPETIZERS’ recipes, you will be able to guess my number one tip
- Follow my recipe for best results.
- Boil your potatoes for only 3 minutes in already boiling water. .
- Use equal portions of flour and corn flour.
- You can shape your potatoes mix into rectangle hash browns patties and place them on a tray, cover with cling film and freeze till later date. When ready to fry DO NOT allow it thaw or come to room temperature.
- Hash Browns are best eaten warm.
- I love serving mine with a special ketchup and mayonnaise sauce. You can use any dressing or sauce of your choice
Don’t forget to watch the video on YOUTUBE to see how I made these.
If you liked this recipe, kindly leave me a reaction. This will encourage me to create more no-fail homemade simple recipes! Also use the share button to share the recipe. Thank you.Sussan Apeh
To sign up for my CLASSES either online that runs 24/7 or on-site please send me a direct message via email or through any of my social media platform.
Remember to always tag us to your creation using #sussycakesrecipes
I love to see your feedback and creation!
The most CRUNCHIEST HASH BROWNS RECIPE better than take-out
- 1 Digital scale
- 1 Frying pan
- Mixing Bowls
- 1 Cheese cloth
- 1 Spatula
- 1 Grater
- 1 Pot Pressure cooker
- 1 Strainer Kitchen towels
- 820 grams Finely Shredded Potatoes
- ¼ cups red Onions diced
- ½ cups Flour
- ½ cups Corn flour
- 1 large Egg
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Chili pepper grounded
- Vegetable Oil for frying
- Wash your potatoes and place them in clean water
- Using a scraper, Peel off the skin of the potatoes and still place them in water
- Next using a grater, finely shred your potatoes into a fresh bowl of water. Use the large part of your grater.
- Measure out 820g of shredded potatoes and set aside
- Place water in a pot or pressure cooker and bring it to boil
- Strain out your shredded potatoes and pour into the boiling water
- Allow potatoes to cook for 3 minutes.Next, strain out potatoes from boiling water into a cheese cloth and squeeze well till water is drained completely.
- Transfer potatoes into a bowl and add in your onions, egg, flour, corn flour, salt and pepper and stir well to combine. It should form a soft dough that's not to dry
- Scoop out small portions of the potatoes paste about 85g, shape into a rectangle that's not too thick.You can create unfried hash browns patties this way and place on a tray; wrap with cling film and freeze till when you're ready to fry.
- In a saucepan, add some vegetable oil, place in your shaped unfried hash browns patties.Fry on medium heat on both sides till golden brown.
- Once fried, remove from oil and place in a strainer to drain off excess oil. Repeat procedure for other patties.Serve warm hash browns with your favorite dressings and beverages!
- Hash browns can stay frozen for up to 3 months
- For frozen hash browns do not allow them thaw or come to room temperature. Fry them frozen
9 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories121
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 0.2g 1%
- Cholesterol 21mg 8%
- Sodium 142mg 6%
- Potassium 412mg 12%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 2.9g 12%
- Sugars 1.3g
- Protein 3.4g 7%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.