My ideal kind of breakfast is that one that contains slightly warm waffles drizzled with Maple Syrup and topped with fresh cherries or strawberries. If you have made pancakes or waffles before, you will agree with me that one base item used in completing the final outlook for waffles or pancake is syrup.
In today’s section of our sugar series, we will be learning how to make your own Maple Syrup with items in your kitchen.
WHAT IS MAPLE SYRUP?
Maple Syrup is usually used as condiments for pancakes, waffles, French toast, popcorn, salads, ice-cream, cocktails, etc.
HOW TO STORE MAPLE SYRUP
Maple syrup never spoils! This is due to the high concentration of sugar in maple syrup. It can be kept in the refrigerator once it’s opened so as to discourage mold from growing on the syrup. If mold grows on the syrup, just scoop the mold off the top of the syrup with a spoon and discard the mold. Or strain the maple syrup into a clean container through a piece of cheesecloth. Maple syrup kept in a cold place such as a refrigerator is less likely to grow mold than maple syrup kept in a cupboard or other warm place.
- Brown sugar enhances the rich flavour of the syrup. Hence it cannot be substituted. Check out my easy BROWN SUGAR recipe. You can use either dark or light brown sugar. I made use of dark brown sugar.
- Honey or Corn syrup: I ran out of honey at the time I was making this syrup and was feeling very lazy going to get one from the mall, hence I used a substitute – “corn syrup”. They can be used interchangeably in the making of this syrup. If you use honey, you will end up with a very rich and darker golden syrup. While with corn syrup that richness is left out.
- Hot Water: Water must be boiling before you store in a hot flask. This aids the caramelization process of the sugar just like in the making of my BURNT SUGAR SYRUP.
- Vanilla and Maple Extract : It is ideal to use both extract. Vanilla extract for me is a base flavor I add to most of my syrups, or cakes. And the maple extract enhances the flavor of the syrup.
If you are interested in SIGNING UP for my ONLINE COURSES / ONSITE CLASSES or to see some of my works and students’ practicals, then do chat me up using this link: https://linktr.ee/sussycakes All my classes are very affordable.
- Measure out all items and set aside. Boil your water and keep in a hot flask.
- Get your saucepan, add your hot water, honey/corn syrup, white sugar, brown sugar. Stir all contents well to moisten the sugar.
- Transfer saucepan to medium heat, stirring content occasionally and bring the content to a boil. Next reduce heat of stove/gas to low and allow it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir occasionally, because syrup will foam a lot. Also keep an eye on it. After 10 minutes, remove from heat and allow syrup cool for 5 minutes. Then add your vanilla and pure maple extract and stir well.
- Allow syrup cool completely before storing in sterilized mason jars or use slightly warm over pancakes, waffles, ice cream, etc
#maplesyrup #pancakesyrup #homemadesyrup #cocktailsyrup #wafflesyrup #pancakes #wafflesDid you try out this recipe? Don’t forget to ❤ it. Feel free to ask questions using the comment section. I will definitely respond. Also follow and subscribe to the blog so you can always get notified of my new recipes every week!I will also LOVE to see your creations!